Lori Mackey has run 11 marathons in 8 years. So of course, she’s in great shape, but she is convinced that just about anyone can run a marathon if they’re motivated to do it.
“I run to honor them. I run to support them.”
Lori is talking about the pediatric patients she helps care for as an art therapist for the division of hematology/oncology at Advocate Children’s Hospital in Oak Lawn, IL. Lori believes one of the best ways to keep motivated is to do it for a cause you care deeply about.
“I run for the children and teens who inspire me daily with their insights, wisdom, honesty, creativity, curiosity and humor,” Lori shared. “Every single day, I witness both the small and large ways art therapy empowers, encourages and elicits self-expression and self-awareness and instills hope.”
On days when Lori goes for a six or seven mile run before her actual work day even starts, she thinks of her sweet patients and gets it done. “They’re the fuel that keeps me going,” Lori said.
When you join Lori on Team Advocate, Advocate Health Care’s charity running team, you’re running for more than yourself. You’ll be signing up to raise funds to support any Advocate Health Care hospital or program of your choosing.
Six more reasons to join Lori and Team Advocate
Since 2011, Advocate’s charity running team has raised more than $1 million for programs and services across Illinois. Here are some of the 2020 Team Advocate member benefits:
- Guaranteed/Complimentary entry for the 2020 Bank of America Chicago Marathon ($245 value)
- Complimentary training membership with Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA) which includes an 18-week training plan, running schedule and weekly updates
- VIP race day hospitality team tent with private gear check, food, drinks and more
- Charity running team technical shirt
- Finish line bleacher passes for two guests
- Personal fundraising webpage, tips on how to raise funds and prizes for reaching various fundraising goals
For more information, or to join Team Advocate, go to advocategiving.org/chimarathon.